PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

3.01.2012

"The Lorax" Activity!

Hey everybody!

Today we are focusing on our last book of Dr. Seuss week...The Lorax!

My kids love this book. My mother-in-law gave it to my daughter Kendall for her birthday a few years ago along with a stuffed Lorax. She sleeps with him most nights and 9 times out of 10 that is the bedtime story she will choose :) I've been looking forward to this activity all week because I knew how much my kids would enjoy it.

Before we could get to our activity, we had to read the book of course. Only problem was...the book had completely disapeared!! Thank goodness for the internet and audio books...right?! I loved this picture of Kendall with her Lorax listening to the book :) She got SO excited when the Lorax would talk...cutest thing!

This was really simple to make and only took a few supplies. First off....we had to make our Truffala Trees! These were just small wooden dowels with sparkly pom poms hot glued to them.


Then I just got a styrafoam block and painted it green. I quickly printed off a small picture of the Lorax and taped a toothpick on the back.

Now let the fun begin!!


This ended up being a really great math activity. Kendall was counting all the trees and grouping them into colors. Then I would take out a few trees and ask her how many were left, or add some and ask her the same thing. Great way to work on very basic addition and subtraction.


Isn't this picture the best?! Britton waiting oh so patiently for Kendall to let him have a turn ;)

Finally!! :)


Britton loved working on his colors with these fun trees and he also loved pulling them out...over...and over...and over. I think he FELT like he was destroying something...and that IS his favorite thing to do :)

Once we were done with colors and math...the kids got really creative! They had the Lorax perform on his stage, ride a train, and much more :)

I am so amazed at kids' creativity and the things they can come up with, they inspire me to think outside the box and see how I can make something MORE than it first appears.

Thanks so much for stopping by today and joining us for all the Dr. Seuss fun! I think this has been my favorite weekly theme for a LONG time :) Is anyone going to see the Lorax this weekend? My kids are dying to see it...I'm a definite maybe ;)





jdaniel4smom

7 comments:

bailey

hey i found you through mingle with us blog hop and am now following you, i hope you can follow me back at baysbooks.blogspot.com
thnaks

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate

What a fun and adorable idea!

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

This is so cute! I love it! Thanks for sharing! Found you through Blog Hop Thursday! Following along with you now, hoping you will follow me too. =)

http://jill-createcraftlove.blogspot.com

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted

I'm loving all the Seuss inspired goodies!

Love Sweet Love

Ha Ha, I am loving the adorable faces of your cute Britton! You have the most gorgeous children!! We can't wait to go see The Lorax too!

SnoopyGirl

Love the Lorax activity. You are so creative! The expressions on your little ones faces are precious.

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com

Another fun craft Tonii!! Your so creative! Ps.. I cant get enough of your kiddos.. they are so stinkin cute!!