PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

11.10.2010

Don't be a turkey....Give Thanks!!

That is the theme this month at our house as I try to instill in my children an "attitude of gratitude". Here is what we are doing...:)
I made turkey feathers for every week day of this month and on them wrote something we should be grateful for. Example: I am grateful for the food we have, I am grateful for my family, etc. Then on the back of the feather is a corresponding activity. Example: Go to the store and buy cans of food to donate to the food bank, look at all our photo albums and pictures and talk about memories of our family. Every day the kids will get to pick one feather and the we will do that activity that day.
I had to enlist my husbands help on this one...he is such a good sport! He drew up this cute turkey for me and now this hangs on our wall for the kids to see every day.
Here are all the activities I did, in case anyone wants to use the same idea:
I am grateful for good books. Go to the library and check out books about Thanksgiving
I am grateful for grandparents. Color pics and write letters to send to them.
I am grateful for good neighbors. Make and deliver treats.
I am grateful for this beautiful earth. Go for a walk.
I am grateful for my Daddy. Make turkey handprints for him.
I am grateful for the food we have. Go to the store and buy cans of food to donate to the food bank.
I am grateful for my family. Look at photo albums and pictures and talk about fun family memories.
I am grateful for the scriptures. Pick your favorite scripture story and read with mommy.
I am grateful for my body. Play ring around the rosy, tag, and the Hokey Pokey.
I am grateful for our new baby. Go to the store and pick out one new thing for baby.
I am grateful for Jesus. Draw pictures of all of the things he has taught us.
I am grateful for the Pilgrims. Learn about the Pilgrims and make a fun pilgrim treat.
There were so many more, we have been so blessed and I want to help my kids recognize that. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season and I would love to know....how are you helping teach your kids about gratitude??

2 comments:

Holly

Tonii that is such a great idea. I love hearing other families traditions. Thanks for sharing.

Camille

you are so good at always keeping up on doing fun things with your kids.. they will always remember that you did it! I might just have to send my kids over for all your thanksgiving activities since we already moved on to christmas! o man... hahaha!