PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.21.2011

President's Day family home evening


Man, I wish I could get a little more on top of things and actually post these family home evening ideas BEFORE Monday! :) But here it is, it will be pretty easy to throw together so maybe it can still help someone out for today.
I was excited to put together a little family home evening to describe President's Day to the kids and help them learn why we don't have school or work today. I also wanted to focus a little on honesty and tie that in too.
To get started we are going to talk about and repeat several times the 12th Article of Faith: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law." Then we will talk about how important it is to obey all the laws and that today we are honoring two president's that were a great example of honesty to us.
I found this great website that had short stories about both George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. I simply printed them out, backed them on cute paper and laminated them so we will have them for future use.
After we read these stories and talk about how they were both honest and how we really need to strive to be honest in our lives we are going to do a simple fun craft, making Abe Lincoln's black top hat :) All you do is get several toilet paper rolls ( I always save these for future crafts ;) and paint them black. Then you glue them to a circle of black construction paper and cut out a circle to cover the top....and there you it!!
I was also excited to for the treat we are going to do. Anyone remember these great pilgrim hat treats for Thanksgiving from Family Fun?? Well I think without the yellow buckle they will look JUST like a black top hat :) I hope you all have a wonderful day with your families and a great holiday!!


0 comments: