PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.03.2011

Monthly Service family home evening....lets try this again!

About two years ago I decided I wanted to have the first Family Home Evening of every month focused on service, where we either started or completed a service project that evening. Well....didn't quite take off :) Now here we are two years later and I am feeling strongly once again that my family could REALLY benefit and learn from serving others and forgetting ourselves. And let's be honest...I could really benefit from it too :) My kids have gotten older and I don't think I could teach them anything better than to learn to LOVE to serve. So we are kicking of September with our first service project...kind of fitting that its on Labor Day, right?!


To get us into the spirit I quickly threw together this printable. I think it will be a great reminder for our whole family, but honestly, mostly for me :) I love the trendiness of the Keep Calm signs and thought this would fit perfectly on our new monthly focus. Please feel free to copy and print to have one of your own...I made a few different colors.









For Monday night's fhe we are going to the store to buy school supplies for a drive our ward is doing. I thought that having the kids pick something out that they don't really have to pay for probably isn't going to take that much sacrifice on their part. So all week they have been doing extra chores and earning tickets. For every ticket they have they will be able to pick out one thing for the school supplies drive. This way they had to work and sacrifice in their own small way to bless the lives of others. Then on Sunday we will join with our ward at an activity where we put together these supplies for kids that really need them.


So tell me....what are some service projects you have done with your family? I am SO excited and motivated to show my children what a gift it is to be able to forget yourself and serve selflessly those around us. Until next time, thanks so much for stopping by, and KEEP CALM and SERVE ON :)




4 comments:

Michele

I ran onto your blog a few weeks ago and have loved seeing the things you do. I NEVER comment on the blogs that I follow... just look for cute ideas. But, I have to tell you what a great idea your service once a month for fhe is!! I am going to "borrow" your idea, and hope that you post more service ideas! :) Thanks! I can't wait for monday to do our "fhe night of service"!

Ashley

so perfect! thanks for sharing:) i love it!

Unknown

Such a cute printable! I just taught a lesson in Relief Society last week on Service and incorporated a couple ideas I had to use with the family. I'm going to do a post about it tomorrow, hope you'll stop by and check it out.

acandiedapple

I just found your blog through Pinterest and am in love! You're so fun and creative.

I am starting a year long challenge to put more service into my life. As a family we choose a yearly goal and this year it will be service. (2011 was not buying anything new).

I would love to post your Service printables on my blog, if you don't mind. Also, I'd love to email you about some guest posting possibilities but can't find your email address. Please email me at cowilcox@gmail.com. aCandiedApple.blogspot.com