PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

8.12.2011

Back to school family home evening

I cannot believe that school starts for us in a little over a week!! I'm preparing to send my oldest off to big scary 1st grade....I'm the one scared, not her! :) I really wanted to prepare a fun family home evening that talked about things I want her to remember while she's at school, and especially about being a good example. To start off I printed and laminated this scripture for us to repeat several times together.



After we do the scripture we are going to have each child get their backpack and bring it down. Once they have we are going to talk about how we need different things to help us be more successful at school. In a big basket I will have glue, notebooks, scissors, pencils, folders, rulers and crayons or markers. As we talk about each seperate school supply we will talk about how we not only need that supply to do our work at school, but what character attribute it represents. As we talk about each one they will pick it out of the basket and put them in their backpacks. I printed off copies of the following cards and attached them to each school supply.





















My hope with this lesson is two-fold. I hope that attaching these qualities to items they are familiar with will remind them of things they should be doing each time they see the item. For example, when they see a bottle of glue to remember to "stick" up for kids that are being picked on. Secondly, I hope to drive home the importance of being a good example, standing up for what they know is right, and being the beautiful children their Heavenly Father expects them to be.


A new school year is a fresh start, and I am SO excited to start it off focusing on being true to the values we have been taught and striving to become more like our savior! If you need a fun dessert idea you can check out my post HERE where I made some fun 1st day of school cupcakes, or HERE where we made some crayon treats for a bday party :)


Have a wonderful weekend and thank you so much for stopping by Blue Skies Ahead!

15 comments:

Lindsay

I am so glad that you found my blog, because now I get to read all about your adorable family! Newest follower!

raising4boys

I love this idea! Can't wait to do it next Sunday night before school starts. Thanks :)

[Stacia]

SUCH a cute idea! Do you mind if I print off your cards to use in our FHE next week?

Aunt Suzi Quilts

This is such an amazing idea! I am so copying you and pinning it to my pinterest board!! Thanks for sharing this and doing all the hard work for me. We are doing this tonight followed by father's blessings.

Cara :)

(Gasp) - I LOVE this idea!!! I can't wait to use it!!! :) PIN :)

Baby Ruth

THANKYOU! Tbis is perfect!!

Malia

It was my kids first day back to school today (we live on Maui, different schedule from mainland) and I googled "first day of school family home evening" and found your blog right away! We just finished using your object lesson ideas and the kids really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Danielle

Great ideas! Thanks for helping me prep my FHE. I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog today.

http://preschoolbookclub.blogspot.com

Mary Ann

I think it's very admirable the way you've tied in school and learning to the family home evening lesson. Thank you so much for sharing these great FHE ideas.

Anonymous

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I might
as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you.
Look forward to looking into your web page repeatedly.
Feel free to surf my web page - weightloss diet

Lindsey Cortes

We just had an awesome Family Night using this. Thanks!

Em and Jorg

I don't know you but I found this on pinterest. And I love you! Thank you!!!!

sfarns

I know you posted this a while ago, but I am so grateful for it and just had a great FHE because of it! Thank you :)

Debi

Going to incorporate this into our fhe tonight (kids start school on Wednesday) and I think this is perfect for muy little ones.

hanneyjo

This is perfect and just what I was looking for. Thank you!