PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.04.2012

Make your own Olympic Torch!

 Well hello everyone!! :)

Life has felt so busy and crazy lately, but I honestly have no idea what I have been doing besides the day to day stuff.  No matter how busy I am though...I never seem to stay away from blogging for very long :)  We are jumping back into our Weekly Themes and did a really fun craft today  to start off our week of learning all about The Olympics!!

I thought since we get to watch the Olympics this July in London, England it would be fun to do a week all about the Olympics.  My kids didn't know too much about the Olympic Games (except for Kendall...they did a whole week on it at preschool and she loved every minute of it!) so I thought talking about the Olympic Torch would be a great start.  

I found a great YouTube clip HERE that we watched.  It has every Olympic Cauldron lighting since the 1960's.  My kids loved seeing all the different torches and the cool ways they lit all the cauldrons.  I actually really enjoyed it too...they do some amazing things!!   

After we were done watching that, we got to work making our very own Olympic Torches!




I found a tutorial online and they used a piece of white card stock paper for the torch.  I knew I wanted ours to be BIG...so I used white poster boards.  I let the kids decorate their posters to start off...I was so impressed!  I LOVED that Kendall was practicing her writing and spelling on hers, and Skylar's heart-shaped Earth was amazing!



After you are all done decorating (or you can leave it un-decorated like mine :) you simply roll your poster into a cone shape, get squares of yellow, red and orange tissue paper, and glue them in a bunch at the top of your torch to simulate the flames!!



Britton loved his torch...and immediately started using it as a weapon against his sisters :)  Boys will be boys...right?!




Fun, easy and cheap craft that the kids will love!!  You know its going to be a good week when the kids are begging for more Olympic activities! ;)




Thank you so much for coming by today...I am surprised anyone is still looking at this thing! :)  Keep coming back...we are doing a fun FHE tonight and lots more great Olympic Activities this week!

Linking up HERE

9 comments:

Michelle Paige

I love the Olympics! Making a torch in a gigantic size is so fun!

Unknown

What a great way to get the kids involved. It's huge! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-3.html

Thanks so much!
Sarah
{http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

Melissa @ LoveBugLiving

What a fun Olympic craft!
Melissa
www.lovebugliving.com

Harmony (sew in harmony)

Love it! Our church is doing an Olympic themed VBS and this large sized torch will be perfect for our age group signs. Thanks for sharing!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com

So cute! What a fun craft..as always :)

Nat and Holly

LOVE! Can't wait to see the rest of the week! (And I posted in my other comment about girl's camp...just saw you talk about FHE, so I guess you know what I'm getting myself into! ;)

Mackenzie

Very fun! I have been thinking about Olympic ideas I will have to keep this is mind! Thanks! I'd love to invite you to join us and share Saturday Show & Tell on Cheerios and Lattes! I know my readers will love your ideas too!
http://www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-14-1st-week-of-summer/
Have a great weekend!
Mackenzie :)

Carrie

Oh, how fun!! Thanks for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

Unknown

Love for you to come link up with us @costours.blogspot.com