PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

6.05.2012

The Olympic Rings craft...and a treat too :)

 

Hey everybody!! 

Olympic week is still going strong at our house and today we did a really fun craft...with a yummy snack to go with it :)

First up, I have to be honest.  I did NOT plan this craft in advance at all!  My kids have been sick with a  horrible virus so we have all been stuck inside our house constantly.  It is getting really old...and the kids are getting very bored and grumpy.  I came up with this on the fly today but am so glad that I did.

Before I get to the craft though...lets start with the snack! :)

I knew we were going to be talking about the Olympic Rings today so I showed the kids a picture of them and explained that each ring represented one of the 5 major parts of the world: Asia, Europe, the Americas, Africa and Australia.  We talked about how the rings are inter-lapping and how it represents all the different countries coming together.

I wanted to make a yummy treat that my kids would gobble up and this is what we came up with :)




All you need to make your own Olympic Ring snacks are some mini bagels, cream cheese, and writing frosting in the ring colors.  It really was as easy as it sounds and the kids LOVED it!






These were a big hit...in fact, I had to make seconds for everyone! :)




As we were eating the rings I had a thought!  I grabbed a bunch of yellow, red, blue, black, and green card stock and put the girls to work cutting them into strips.




Once we had enough strips we taped them all together and made our very own Olympics Ring Countdown Chain!!



There are exactly 52 links on our chain, and every night we will take one down until we get to July 27th...Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 Olympics!

The kids are excited for our Olympic Countdown...and I think this activity may have saved my sanity today :)  Sometimes you just need something a little fun to snap you out of a mommy funk ;)

Linking up HERE


4 comments:

Unknown

You make the best, most cutest snacks EVER! I love this olympic theme of yours. I think I'm going to copy cat! :)

Hope everyone gets better quickly. Being sick during summer vacation is such a bummer!

Nat and Holly

Love these! I'm doing an Olympic theme for our Summer Girl's Camp, this would be so fun to make for breakfast one day! Thanks for sharing! Found you at Ginger Snap Crafts linky :)

Jennifer @ Delightfully Noted

I don't know why I keep forgetting about the Olympics coming up. Love the use of the bagels, very clever!

Carrie

Oh, how fun!! I love the Olympic theme you have especially for the kids when they are stuck inside sick. I hope they are feeling better!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!