PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

2.28.2013

Nephi Crosses the Sea FHE

 
I have been having so much fun with Dr. Seuss week at our house that I almost forgot to post our Family Home Evening this week!  Actually...I don't think I posted last week either...slacker! ;)

For last week we just did a review of a lesson we did last year, all about when Nephi built a ship.  You can check out that home evening HERE, complete with a printable matching game for the kiddos!

This week we talked about Nephi and his families journey across the sea.  We read from Book of Mormon Stories and then talked a lot about how when Laman and Lemuel started making bad choices, they lost the guidance of the Liahona, and everyone was almost lost at sea.  Then we talked about how Nephi always stayed true, even when it looked like all hope was gone, he never complained or gave up on Heavenly Father.  What an example to us!!


We talked about how once Laman and Lemuel repented and Nephi prayed to the Lord, the Liahona began to work again, the wind calmed, and they were able to travel to the Promised Land in safety.

For a (somewhat) simple activity I thought it would be fun to make paper boats for all the kids.


I say somewhat because, honestly...it took me FOREVER to make these three sad paper boats!!  No matter how many times I watched the youtube video on making them I just could not get it right!  I was starting to feel seriously challenged when I found a great tutorial HERE that finally produced something that at least resembled a boat and would float...my only requirements ;)


Once we had our boats I filled up the tub, and one at a time let each child put their boat in.  At first, I turned on the water at the opposite end, making the water very choppy and the boat go in every direction.  We talked about how this represented the boat without the guidance of the Liahona...and US without the guidance of the Holy Ghost.


After that I turned the water off and gave each child a straw.  They were able to use the straw to blow the ship in the direction they wanted it to go.  We talked about how when we make good choices, we can have that kind of direct guidance in our very own lives...pretty cool! :)

I am SO enjoying delving into the Book of Mormon with my kids...and mostly trying to help them see how the scriptures relate to US today.  Thanks so much for stopping by and please share:
How do YOU get your children excited/motivated to read their scriptures??