PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.16.2013

Spiritual Crocodiles Family Home Evening {Jacob and Sherem}

 Man its been a LONG time since I posted a Family Home Evening!!  It feels so good to be back on schedule, and last night we returned to our study of the Book of Mormon by learning all about Jacob and Sherem.  

While I was looking for inspiration on ways to teach this lesson to my kids I found the idea on Sugardoodle to incorporate President Packer's talk on Spiritual Crocodiles.  I loved the idea of comparing Sherem and his ability to turn people away from the gospel to Spiritual Crocodiles.

First up, we read from The Book of Mormon Stories Chapter 10, Jacob and Sherem.  We talked alot about the different ways Sherem got the people to stop believing in Christ.  He was flattering, nice, and very smart!  We talked about how people got close to him, and in turn ended up losing their testimony of the Savior and becoming very wicked.  

Then I introduced the kids to this YouTube video HERE.  Just a note...there is some graphic animal violence you may or may not want your little ones watching.  I felt it was okay for my family, but you know your kids so I would suggest watching it before you show your family :)

After we watched the video we talked about Spiritual Crocodiles.  How just like the animals couldn't always see the real crocodiles, we have to be cautious of spiritual crocodiles that will hurt not only our bodies but our souls as well.

I made up this printable to hang up in the house for the week to remind us:


Then we went on a "Crocodile Hunt" to find some specific Spiritual Crocodiles that may be trying to take bites out of OUR testimonies!  I hid these crocodiles all around the house and the kids got their binoculars and were on the search!  Remind your kids...even though some of these crocodiles look cute and happy...just like Sherem they can be damaging to our testimonies and to our souls!

I included a blank crocodile so you could write your own things specific to the needs of your family as well :) 









After we had found all our crocodiles we talked about how each of these things can hurt us and how important obedience is.  I think the message hit home...when my little almost-4-year-old said family prayer last night he closed by asking Heavenly Father to make sure we don't get eaten by crocodiles :)  Haha!  Sometimes thats the best we can hope for, right?! ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I have a lot of fun things planned for this week with my kids learning all about Spring Weather so make sure you come back and visit again!



12 comments:

Kari Sweeten

We did this tonight for family home evening and the family loved it and actually paid attention. lol

Thank you for sharing!

katelinklug

I've been slacking and just now getting serious about FHE with my girls being 4 and 2 I've started a box I want to collect lessons in and I'm in love with this! SO cute. Thank you!!!

momof2girls

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I was looking for a FHE and this is perfect. My kids are going to love it!

linj2fly

How do you print this out? I clicked on the pic and it pulled up all the pics but when I hit command-p it wants to print the whole blog page instead of just the pics. Thanks :)

Jenn

This is such an adorable idea! Thank you for sharing it.

Damien and Ashley

Thank you so much for sharing this great idea! It helped so much!

Mariam

I am Mariam used every single spell worker on the internet, spent untold amounts of money and discovered they are all fakes...i was the fool though; doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the end, I decided that I wanted a tarot reading to know what my future held for me; I contacted a woman who lives locally to me and she told me about a man named (Priests Abija); he does not advertise on the internet, has another job for income, has no set prices, makes no false promises and refuses to help anyone that cannot be helped and even helps for free sometimes, he will give you proof before taking money. He is a wonderful man and he was the only person who actually gave me real results. I really hope he doesn't mind me advertising his contact on the internet but I'm sure any help/ extra work will benefit him.contact him here as +447053820826 or spirituallighthealing101@live.com He travel sometimes.i cant give out his number cos he told me he don’t want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he’ will replied to any emails asap,love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,any sicknesses voodoo,Trouble in marriage,HIV AIDS,it's all he does Hope this helps everyone that is in a desperate situation as I once was; I know how it feels to hold onto something and never have a chance to move on because of the false promises and then to feel trapped in wanting something
more.

Tasha

I love your blog Tonii. Almost every time you post something I think wow, this lady is seriously amazing! We are always on the same page- or doing a similar craft. It's nice to find someone else who enjoys planning, crafting, and creating experiences the way I do with my kids as well.

You seem like such a neat person and amaze me with 5 kids and you do so so much! Wow, incredible. I look forward to getting to know you better & learning from you! Also, I am thinking this will be our FHE lesson next week. Thanks for the inspiration! =)

Tasha

I love your blog Tonii. Almost every time you post something I think wow, this lady is seriously amazing! We are always on the same page- or doing a similar craft. It's nice to find someone else who enjoys planning, crafting, and creating experiences the way I do with my kids as well.

You seem like such a neat person and amaze me with 5 kids and you do so so much! Wow, incredible. I look forward to getting to know you better & learning from you! Also, I am thinking this will be our FHE lesson next week. Thanks for the inspiration! =)

Jessica Stier

Hi! I know this post is super old, but I wanted to tell you how excited I am to find it!!! I'm teaching the MiaMaids tomorrow about taking care of our bodies and Boyd K. Packer's 1976 Conference talk about this exact thing is one of my study materials. I'm going to use your adorable crocodiles as my handout. Thank you so much!!! You really saved my bacon tonight!

Julander Family

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! What a cute idea.

Mellissa

Thank you SO much! What a wonderful FHE we just shared!!! I am so thankful to have stumbled across this on Pinterest!

Thank you for sharing your gifts!!!